Tuesday 10 January 2012

'The Shire' in the planning

So, this is the idea... this year we are not breeding our own chickens like we were last year, we are keeping our trusty pair of Silver Spangled Appenzeller and our beloved Lemon Cuckoo Pekin Bantams, but we will be hatching locally bought eggs.
This means that our three large aviaries which measure 12 x 8 feet, 12 x 6 feet and 8 x 16 feet will now be developed for rabbit breeding accommodation.

I have a bit of a vision to base the housing loosley on Tolkien's 'The Shire' from The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings.

My usual course of action when planning something like this is to calculate how much square footage each animal will have then design a uniform, boring set of enclosures. This time I am going to go against my urge to have everything uniform and I will build individual, 'character properties' for my long eared, bob tailed hobbits. Of course, everything will be made out of scrap wood so the usual rustic look should not be a problem lol

This will take me some time I am sure, but will endeavour to blog as each 'new build' goes up..

This project will either be brilliance, or a knock kneed crooked house disaster!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment