Thursday 5 January 2012

Luna's progress

I feel like I am really starting to form a strong bond with Luna. I have managed to get her into a really good routine.

At 10am she has pony nuts and I potter about giving the goats their mix, veg and hay, refill the water buckets and haynets. Then I rake over Luna's enclosure to stop it from getting boggy in this rubbish weather and check her stable for poop. When she finishes her pony nuts she always follows me about and enjoys some cuddles. She seems to really enjoy my company and follows me along the fence when I walk up the path to leave. Then she just has the goats until I get her out in the afternoon. She does not seem to stand with the goats and 'herd' with them in the same way Ike did, but they are company all the same.
Another difference is that Ike used to greet you with a whinny, loudly in true stallion showy offy fashion, but Luna is much more sedate and utters a low grumbling whinny that you could miss if you weren't listening for it.

At 2pm I go down and offer Luna her headcollar. She actually comes over to the gate and puts her nose into the headcollar. Then I lead her to the front of the house and start grooming. Then I check her hooves and pick them if necessary. I am very impressed with how she allows me to do this so easily already.
Then I lead Luna out and we walk up the road to keep her hooves down then up onto the green where we spend half and hour together with Luna grazing.
She then spends about an hour up at the house with her pals, Wilbur & Mabel the rabbits while I collect Lucian from school, he gets to see her for a bit then I take her back to her enclosure.

She seems to spend her evenings inside the stable but mid morning can be seen racing around, trotting in circles or just running back and forth. She seems to kick her heels up if the weather is cold so is probably just getting warm!

Below is a photo of her having a snooze after a bit of a roll! Another thing is that she is a doddle to groom because fo her woolly coat. Ike has a cob, smooth coat and when he used to roll in the mud it was a nightmare to get him clean. With Luna, the mud brushes off very easily with a curry comb and she looks as good as new with very little grooming.



No comments:

Post a Comment