Monday 5 March 2012

Fly's First Walk

Well, Fly went on his first proper walk this morning, up to school.

He did not want to leave the garden but with plenty of encouragement he finally followed Lucian and off we went. It did not take long for him to get the hang of walking on the lead.

We did have a bit of an 'event' where he freaked out at two big dogs barking behind a fence and I was not holding him tight enough... luckily as he legged it down the road I managed to get his attention and get him to sit. I had the clicker so when he sat I clicked and he just waited for the treat. I am very glad that I decided to go ahead with a bit of basic training before puppy classes start!

Fly was afraid of the usual puppy hang ups such as moving cars, strangers walking toward, strange dogs barking in gardens, crowds of people. But he gets a gold award for trying his little best. I think he did brilliantly and tomorrow I am going to attempt to leave him outside school by himself for a few minutes.
Today there was a beautifully behaved black lab for him to practice with. Fly sat next to him and watched his model behaviour. In fact he copied and sat quietly so here's hoping he does the same tomorrow.

Of course we still have another adventure today at school as Fly is going in for a 'show and tell' this afternoon... will report back later   :oI

No comments:

Post a Comment